CJ Logistics’ package delivery program employing seniors, started five years ago, recently made its 20 millionth delivery, the subsidiary of conglomerate CJ Group announced on December 11.
The program was launched in the southeastern city of Busan in 2013, before expanding to 160 other locations nationwide and eventually employing somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,300 seniors.
In the areas where the so-called “silver-haired delivery service” is being operated, elderly staff living in the district pick up their daily quotas from package delivery cargo trucks and drop them off door-to-door.
Typically, the workload consists of 50 to 60 packages and employees work three to four hours a day.
In the year of its inception, aged hands were responsible for approximately 700,000 deliveries. Since then, yearly deliveries have climbed steadily, reaching 8 million this year (as of early December).
Another milestone reached this year was a spot for CJ Group on Fortune magazine’s “Change the World List”, a first-time honor for any South Korean company.
CJ Logistics’ program was additionally spotlighted by The Economist, which introduced it as a leading example of job creation for seniors in South Korea. It was also referenced in a sustainable development goals report by the United Nations Global Compact.
- Delivered 1.05 billion boxes in 2017, showing a two-digit increase every year - The average monthly income of delivery persons increased to KRW 5.51 million along with the increase of delivery density and volume. - Positioned as an essential business for public interest that ensures the foundation for daily life b...
- CJ Logistics opens the advanced R&D center called ‘TES Innovation Center China’ at CJ Rokin - The Company transfers its TES’s technologies to China…hoping to create more synergy - CJ Logistics tries to expand the global business by building ‘the second CJ Logistics’ in Chin...
Settings for optimization in printing
* Internet Explorer should be set as below in [Print Preview].
1. Required items
- Please check that you can print the background graphics and images in [Seinttings]
- Please set Margins to 'None' or '0'
- Please set the scale of the screen to 65% (recommended)